Bird Watching in Negombo
Bird watching in Negombo is a wonderful nature experience and Negombo Bird watching takes place in the Muthurajawella wetland. Negombo Bird watching tour will operate by motor boat and Negombo bird watching is the best birding tour around the Colombo and sub-urban.
Negombo Bird watching, taking place in Negombo Lagoon by boat and Muthurajawela Birds Sanctuary located 12 km away from Negombo city, closer to the Airport. Literally Muthurajawella means produce rice as beautiful as pearls for the King of Kotte. The Muthurajawela Paddy fields made uncultivable, allegedly by the seepage of sea water through Dutch Canals, left to death and decay.
Spread over 6230 hectares, The Muthurajawela wetland runs parallel to the western coastline of the country and, together with the contiguous Negombo lagoon, forms an integrated coastal wetland system of high biodiversity and ecological significance.
Nearly 200 species of flora belonging to seven major types, namely marsh, lactic flora, shrub land, reed, swamp, grasslands, stream bank and mangrove forest in Muthurajawela Wetland zone including one endemic species, Aceraceae or Phoenix zelanica.
The vertebrate fauna at Muthurajawela includes 40 species of fish, 14 species of reptiles, 102 species of birds and 22 species of mammals. Among the total number of vertebrate species documented, 17 are endemic, while 26 are nationally in danger. Among the invertebrates documented, 48 species are butterflies and 22 species are dragonflies.
- Morning Tour starts at 7.30 a.m. and needs to report at 7 a.m.
- Evening Tour starts at 4.00 p.m. and needs to report at 3.30 p.m.)
Ja-Ela - Pamunuwa. (12 Km away from the Negombo)
It is 2 hrs. Bird watching tour in Negombo lagoon
- Local standard motor boat 12 - 15 feel length and 4 feet width boat.
- Boat engine capacity 8 H.p.
- Foldable Roof available.
- Per boat maximum 6 – 8 pax
- casual dress
- Good sunscreen
- Hat and sunglass
- Interesting readings related to exotic birding
Explore the nature and beauty of the Lagoon
Explore Mangrove and island monkeys
Private guided birding tour
Birds and wetland flora and fauna
Payments and Cancellations
- Tour will confirm up on the payment.
- You may need to check the availability before making the payment.
- If you are going to cancel the activity before the 24 hours of the operation, take place, then we will not apply for any cancelation charge.
- If the activity cancels from My Ceylon Adventures (our) end because of unexpected weather condition effect then Fully refunded (100%) or you can book alternative activity instead of the refund.