Bird watching in Tangalle takes place in Kalametiya lagoon and Kalametiya bird sanctuary is a wonderful bird sanctuary in Southern coast. Kalametiya bird sanctuary similar to Bundala bird sanctuary and Kalametiya bird sanctuary established in 1938. Kalametiya bird sanctuary in between Tangalle and Hambantota and 18 Km away from the Tangalle town (30 min drive from the Tangalle). Tangalle Bird watching tour is a wonderful thing to do in Tangalle.
Kalametiya bird sanctuary
It spread Kalametiya bird sanctuary over 2500 hectares in the southern coastal belts and it is a dry zone wetland bird sanctuary. Kalametiya bird watching by double catamaran canoe and it is 2–3 hrs bird watching tour in Tangalle. Most of bird experts recorded over 160 immigrating and endemic birds found in Kalametiya bird sanctuary. Besides the bird life, over 20 species of mammals live within the sanctuary, and 41 types of fish and 38 species of reptiles that also live within the Kalametiya Bird Sanctuary. Following bird species found in Kalametiya bird sanctuary.
Lesser Whistling-Duck, Garganey, Indian Peafowl, Sri Lanka Jungle fowl, Little Grebe, Rock Pigeon, Spotted Dove, Sri Lanka Green-Pigeon, Greater Coucal, Blue-faced malkoha, Pied Cuckoo, Indian Nightjar, Asian Palm-Swift, Indian Thick-knee, Great Thick-knee, Black-winged Stilt, Pacific Golden-Plover, Greater Sand-Plover, Black-tailed Godwit, Green Sandpiper, Barred Buttonquail, Osprey, Shikra, Common Iora, Yellow-eyed Babbler, White-browed Bulbul, Gray-bellied Cuckoo,
Best period of the bird watching in Kalametiya bird sanctuary mid-August to September ends and November – March ends.
- Morning Tour starts at 6.00 a.m. and needs to report at 5.30 a.m.
- Evening Tour starts at 4.00 p.m. and needs to report at 3.30 p.m.
Kalametiya bird sanctuary entrance (18 km away from the Tangalle)
It is 2 - 3 hrs bird watching tour in Kalametiya bird sanctuary
- casual dress
- Good sunscreen
- Hat and sunglass
- Interesting readings related to exotic birding
Double catamaran canoe Specification
Local standard freshwater double catamaran canoe (8 - 12 feel length and 4 feet width boat)
- Per double catamaran canoe maximum 6 – 8 pax
Cost up & down transfers/Tuk Tuk
Cost up & down transfers/Car
Cost up & down transfers/Micro Van
Explore the nature and beauty of the Lagoon
Explore Mangrove and island monkeys
Explore the dry zone wetland immigrating and endemic birds over 160 bids species
Explore the lagoon flora and fauna
Forest walks and explore the nature
Payments and Cancellations
- Tour will confirm up on the payment.
- You may need to check the availability before making the payment.
- If you are going to cancel the activity before the 24 hours of the operation, take place, then we will not apply for any cancelation charge.
- If the activity cancels from My Ceylon Adventures (our) end because of unexpected weather condition effect then Fully refunded (100%) or you can book alternative activity instead of the refund.