Inland fishing in Sigiriya takes place in “Egoda Wewa water tanks”, it built in 5th B.C by King Kassapa for the collect the rain water and pump it to cultivation. During the colonial era, British governors promoted inland fishing for locals to enhance the nutrition level and British used to do fishing as hobby during the colonial time. Fishing in Sigiriya is a unique experience and wonderful experience in freshwater.
Sigiriya fishing tour blends with local experiences and you will experience Sri Lankan lunch with basic cooking demonstration.
There are two fishing tours in Sigiriya and Habarana and you can select a convenient location based on your accommodation located.
Sigiriya fishing takes place traditional way using local fishing rod and after the fishing you will experience the traditional people living style. After the fishing, you will visit to local farmer’s house and you will get local breakfast with tea or coffee.
If evening inland fishing, you will have a local snack with hot tea.
Available fish species in Sigiriya lakes.
- Smooth Breasted Snakehead
- Ceylon Snakehead
- Red Snapper (Thambalaya)
- Tilapia (Korali)
Starting and Ending
- Morning (6.30 a.m.– 9.30 a.m.)
- Evening (3.00 p.m. – 6.30 p.m.)
Note: we are highly recommending morning fishing session and possibility of fishing so high.
- Sigiriya inland Fishing start point: we will pick any Sigiriya Hotel.
- Habarana Fishing Tour Start Point: we will pick up from the hotel.
Local standard paddling canoe with boatman
- casual dress
- Good sunscreen
- Hat and sunglass
- Interesting readings (If you are not patient enough 😊)
Explore the nature and beauty of Countryside
Local people living style and snacks
Experience the Traditional fishing methods
Private guided fishing tour
Local village experience
Payments and Cancellations
- Tour will confirm up on the payment.
- You may need to check the availability before making the payment.
- If you are going to cancel the activity before the 24 hours of the operation, take place, then we will not apply for any cancelation charge.
- If the activity cancels from My Ceylon Adventures (our) end because of unexpected weather condition effect then Fully refunded (100%) or you can book alternative activity instead of the refund.