Things to do in Mirissa
Mirissa is the one of highly popular touristic city in the southern coast and Mirissa between Weligama and Matara. Mirissa is the smallest fishery village but most attracted tourist city in Southern coast. Mirissa belongs to Matara district and 150 Km away from the Colombo. Mirissa, another Tsunami affected city in 2004 and before the Tsunami key income sources only fishery related business but after the 2004 gradually tourism became emerging business. Presently 80% of the Mirissa population survive tourism related business and key income sources is tourism.
Mirissa has no significant historical background like other cities of Sri Lanka, but Mirissa became more popular among the tourist because of Whale watching in Sri Lanka. Mirissa is a Blue whale colony in the world and Mirissa is the only place comfortably explore world biggest mammal–Blue Whale. 3 key facts Mirissa became blue whale colony.
- From Mirissa to point Dondra is the 1000 meters depth close to the shore, and it is 8 NM from the shore.
- Blue whales’ favorite food is “Krill” and that kind of small shrimp growing because of the minerals, nutrition’s through fresh water mixing with the salt water. Nilaweli river gets into the river in Matara and highest number of fresh water releasing river in Sri Lanka. Therefore, naturally Mirissa coast perfect home for blue whales.
- No predators or natural threaten in Sri Lanka southern coast. Hence Mirissa coast is a safe place for blue whales.
Mirissa coast diversifies with things to do in Mirissa and My Ceylon Adventures blends local experience with things to do in Mirissa. You can experience
- Whale watching on Mirissa.
- Surfing in Weligama–it is best surfing school for all surf beginners.
- Diving and snorkeling–discover unseen beauty of the ocean.
- Cycling in Mirissa countryside–it is exploring the locals and traditional snakes bit treatments.
- Cycling to Galle and explore the cinnamon world.
- Sunset cruise and relaxing and celebration.
- Sailing tours.